Friday, January 18, 2008

My first blog

OK, I've never done this before, so here goes.
I guess I'll start with the title of my blog...it's a little out there, even for me. I love food, love to cook, and love to eat, so naturally I am a big Paula Deen fan. It's something I can share with my grandma, who spends most of her time watching the Food Channel. Last May, Grandma lent me her copy of Paula's biography, "It Ain't All About the Cooking," which I read in about a day. If you don't know Paula's history, the short story is that when she was a young mom, her dad died and her mom died shortly after. She was in a bad marriage, and started having panic attacks. Agoraphobia followed, and she struggled financially, emotionally, and it took its toll on her and her boys.
One of the things that got her through it was the following thought: (and I don't have the book right here with me, so I am paraphrasing) "If you wake up in the morning and you are on the right side of the dirt, it's going to be a good day."
In all I have gone through in the past year, both good and bad, this thought has resonated with me and kept my head up. If you are alive, still breathing, you have another day to make it better. So I thought it would be a good title to my blog, plus everything else that could have matched me was already taken!

No comments: