Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Finally...

Here I am, or rather, here we are... in week 28; a little more than 10 weeks to go until we are a family of 4. This week has been a little bit of a transition but I can't exactly put my finger on why I am suddenly thinking "when" and not "if". But all of a sudden in the past few days I have actually started getting excited about having a baby.
I am thinking about baby shopping at Babies R Us. I am thinking about what the heck we are going to do about Thanksgiving and Christmas with a newborn. I am thinking about seeing Chad hold his new son or daughter. I am wondering how in the world Mia is going to cope with the loss of her kingdom (or princess-dom?!) and share her parents. I am actually thinking beyond the next minute.
The big question will be getting through the next two weeks and past the awful anniversary that is September 7th. I think I have been so sad thinking back to last August--it was the main month that I was pregnant last year and the most notable in that short 10 weeks, the one that I remember. I remember camping at State College, walking across the stage to get my diploma, coming back to the start of the school year, registering all of the students, dealing with faculty, all the while feeling like crap.
And then September was a big blur.
Yesterday I was putting important fall dates into my calendar and pulled out the one that I used last year to see if I was forgetting anything...nothing. I barely had anything written in September 2007. I went back to the previous year's calendar thinking maybe I had just used the page for September from that one (school calendars go Sept to Aug). Nope. I literally did not write down anything in September last year. Usually it is one of my favorite and busiest months but last year I think I was just in shock. How did I do it? How did I get up every morning, do my job, come home and be a wife and mother when I was just a shell? The mind is a curious thing, and somehow it's like that month was little more than vapor.
So if I can get past September 7, I think I will feel like I am in the home stretch. While I still feel that nagging feeling that it all can change at any moment and head south, I guess I will believe a little bit more.

No comments: